Thursday, February 16, 2012

Havaianas Commercial - TPM / PMS

Olá!
Today I found this funny commercial from Havaianas (Brazilian flip-flop’s brand), and this one doesn’t last too long, the speech however is a bit fast. What I found interesting about this video is that at some point the man is speaking very fast, expressing some altered mood, and in the end, he starts speaking slow again. So, for example,  you can notice the difference in the pronunciation of the word "Você" (you) - when he's speaking fast, all you'll hear is "cê" (tell me your impressions about it! I'd love to know).

The topic is PMS (TPM – tensão pré-menstrual), I won’t explain more because it would be nice if you try to understand by yourself what’s going on; and since this is a small video, I’m also adding the translation below the transcription. Enjoy!

Curiosity: they are both famous Brazilian soap-opera actors (Havaianas’ commercials usually have famous brazilian actors, especially real couples).
PS.: Translation can't always be literal, but I'll try my best. ;)



Oi amor.
Oi.
Desculpa o atraso. E aí[i], tudo bem?
Não reparou em nada?
O quê?
Nas Havaianas novas.
Ahh, são lindas.
Só isso? Chega aqui, me dá um beijinho rápido, não repara que eu comprei Havaianas novas. O que que tá[ii] acontecendo, hein? Cê[iii] não me ama mais, é isso? Não[iv], pode falar.
Calma! Por que que tá falando assim?
Nada não, só pra você saber como é uma TPM. Quer um suco? Esse aqui é ótimo. Garçom!
‘Havaianas, hava.’


---Translation---

Hi, darling.
Hi.
I’m sorry that I’m late. So, how are you?
Didn’t you notice anything?
What?
My new Havaianas.
Ohh, they are nice/beautiful.
That’s all? You arrive, give me a quick little kiss, don’t notice that I bought new Havaianas. What’s going on, huh? You don’t love me anymore, is that it? Come on, tell me.
Calm down! Why are you talking like that?
No, nothing (no reason), only for you to know how a PMS sounds/is like. You want a juice? This one is great/very good. Waiter!



[i] E aí: this expression can mean many things, here it means “so”, but it could also be “and then”, or even “what’s up”, if you add an interrogation mark.
[ii] = Está
[iii] = Você
[iv] In this case, the “não” is only reinforcing the man’s disappointment/dissatisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment